Okay, I’m gonna be real with y’all for a minute.
These weekly recap posts are starting to get a little tiresome.
“But Ben, we love your weekly recaps! They’re so informative and funny and full of GIFs of handsome mens!”
Look. I hear you. I get it. I’m not saying I’m going to stop writing them, or that I’m not getting some recap goodness out of them myself. I just want to make it clear that I’m getting a teensy bit bored with the format and will be exploring other types of posts in the future (IN ADDITION TO THE RECAPS CALM DOWN). I’ve got a number of good ideas cooking already, including posts about how coding is teaching me to be a better fiction reader, how AI might change what it means to be a developer, and the difference between being able to write code and being able to read it. So if you, like me, are growing tired of this format, have no fear. Hot new topics are heading your way soon. In the meantime, let’s dive in to what I learned the past two weeks!
We kicked Bootcamp II off with a bang, and by bang I mean a head-first dive into asynchronous programming. Here’s what we covered the past two weeks:
- HTML templates
- Using .forEach on arrays
- Named imports and exports
- Arrow functions
- Sorting, slicing, and paginating data
- Asynchronous functions and promises
- (Making) fetch (happen) and accessing/using third party API data
Code in Action
I have two projects to show you this week. They’re both fairly similar, but I’m showing both because I’m proud of the progress I made between building the two. The News Search app, which I built first, was my first solo attempt at fetching and paginating data from an external API, and it took a lot of note-referencing and Googling in order to build it. The NASA GeneLab Search app was my second attempt, and I was able to bang that out in a few hours Friday afternoon. That build was actually the first time I was able to put on music, open up VSCode, and get into a sort of coding-trance that I’d heard developer friends talk about before (thanks Bey!). It was weird and awesome, and I’m proud that I was able to reach that state from my previous project frustration in just a few days.
- What it is: A search site that pings NewsAPI.org to get results from over 30,000 news sites and blogs.
- What it demonstrates: Fetching from a third-party API, promises and asynchronous programming, pagination, sorting and filtering of data.
- Hardest part: Remembering all steps involved: capturing a user’s search input, creating a hash query to track the search and the page, listening for a change on that hash, using the hashchange to trigger the API fetch, and paginating the results. Oh, and styling of course (OF COURSE!).
- Easiest part: Accessing and displaying the fetch results. The NewsAPI sends back a pretty reasonable object from a fetch, so it was easy to access the data I needed and place it where I wanted it.
- What it is: Another search app, this one working with NASA’s GeneLab database.
- What it demonstrates: Same as above: API fetching, manipulating and displaying results data, hashchange events, etc.
- Hardest part: Unlike the NewsAPI results, the objects NASA was sending back were layered and complex (go fig). This made it difficult to figure out how to correctly name the interpolation placeholders in my template literal sections of my list-building function.
- Easiest part: Surprisingly, styling was pretty easy this time around. I tried to mimic the NASA GeneLab site itself, which was laid out in a very straightforward way, so I didn’t have to bang my head against the wall trying to figure out how to make it look good. Turns out NASA scientists aren’t too concerned with snazzy CSS effects. Who would’ve thought?
I don’t have any significant insight about struggles or successes to share this week, but I will say that I’m excited to start working with concepts that are more nuanced and complicated and tools that allows me to participate in the larger ecosystem that is this World Wide Web I’ve been hearing so much about. This coming week we’re going to start to work with cloud-based databases and (eep!) backend stuff, so I’m very stoked about what we’ll be building in the next few days.
I’ll leave you tonight with an adorable story from this weekend: I was babysitting my son (sperm-donor daddy here, he has two moms, we’re a Big Gay Family, email me with questions) and he couldn’t stop talking about Pokemon. Well, last week we just so happened to build a Pokedex to practice pagination and sorting data, and when I showed it to him he was mesmerized. I asked him if he’d like me to build it out more so he could use it to look up information about any Pokemon and he said, “Yes! And of course you want to start with Pikachu. But after that I think it’ll probably take three… no, four… no, five weeks to add all the other Pokemon. So I’ll look forward to it in five weeks!”.
Honestly one of the most reasonable client requests I’ve heard.
It was a nice reminder that what I’m learning in class isn’t all theoretical. There are real people in the world who value these skills and get excited about the things I could potentially build for them, even if the end product is still five weeks out. That’s a nice feeling. 🙂
So until next week friends, here codes nothing!
Feature Photo by Daniel Lee on Unsplash